Bachelor Log Cabin from $3000
The best thing about owning a cabin is it is your own retreat away from the hectic hustle and bustle of the everyday lifestyle in the big city. The pace of living in the wild is grounding and relaxing, and viewing the night sky is best when you are away from the light pollution. Cabin living is versatile, as it can be next to a river or lake, in the mountains or nestled in the forests.
The top ten things to consider when buying or building your very own Bachelor Log Cabin are as follows:
1) Exterior Finishing for Siding: The most popular are peeled log / unpeeled log with bark still on, Butt and pass, bevel, ship lap, board and batten, or wood shake shingles.
2) Edging: this enhances the outside look of your cabin and natural edge, square edge or trim, shadow board or log trim (with peeled / unpeeled log "bark") are the most frequently used finishes.
3) Concrete pads: cabins can be installed uneven terrain eliminating the need for concrete pads and allowing for on-site building.
4) Roofing: To keep the elements out use galvanized metal, shingles or rolled roofing.
5) Power: For remote areas off-grid is best. Install solar panels or build out-houses to be free from the "grid".
6) Windows: These come in all different sizes, shapes and functionality while adding essential natural light.
7) Doors: Double doors, french doors, pony doors (Dutch) and arched doors can all be installed in your cabin.
8) Stone work / Masonry: A stone fireplace or chimney add instant flair, or you could incorporate stone pathways
9) Custom Carvings: Wood carvings add artistic elements that make your cabin uniquely yours.
10) Loft space: Can be used as storage or extra sleeping quarters when you have guests
An amazing part of building a cabin are the vast amount of wood types available. There are even log home builders that only use a special type of certified "harvested" wood that is found from reclaiming dead wood. Dead wood are trees that have been killed by natural causes like beetles, wind or lightning. This way of using wood is sustainable, renewable and good for the environment!
Wayside Log Cabins have many beautiful and affordable options to make owning a cabin a reality. They are quick to build, easy to customize and can be placed on almost any terrain. Just make sure you check out the link below for inspiration!
Learn MORE at Wayside Log Cabin
Due to heavy website load, we have moved the photos for this article: HERE